Following on from the Second World War, the U.S. Army sought to source a more robust and durable liaison aircraft than they had used previously, specifying an all metal construction and better overall performance than the typical fabric over wood of its forebears. Cessna took up this challenge and in 1949 the model 305A first flew. The efficient design incorporated a cabin with a very large, all-round glazed area with distinctive sloping side windows, allowing the crew to see downwards more easily.
Three balsa sheets with precise laser cut parts and strip wood
PVA glue for building the wooden frames
One Ø 150mm plastic propeller
Pre-bent motor hook and shaft
Three low friction plastic nose bushings - one for the propeller and two for the undercarrage and tail wheel legs
Vaccuum formed canopy and spinner
Piano wire for the main undercarriage and tail wheel legs